I wanted to thank you and your charity again for the grant money from Extended Family. It has been such a wonderful blessing and gave me a great peace of mind when it was most needed. I wanted to send you a letter explaining what all I’ve used the money for and let you know how we are doing now, over a year later.
The money definitely helped me pay off my outstanding bills and get clothes things for Azrael that she needed. I also paid for a couple things that we needed, then I saved the rest of the money and used it for my monthly bills and babysitting throughout the last year. This gift from you was immensely helpful and Azrael and I are so appreciative that we received this from you. I didn’t have to worry about putting off bills each month for the last year or not paying the babysitter so I could pay bills. Thank you SOOO much! Some of the things I did with the money were:
1. I opened a savings account for Azrael and put several hundred dollars away for her. Since then, I’ve been able to save over $1,000 in her own savings account.
2. I paid outstanding bills to the babysitter, counseling services, rent/utilities to my grandmother, and my car insurance for 2013.
3. I went to Goodwill, Wal-mart, and Beanstalk and Co. (a second hand baby and kids store) for Azrael and got clothes, shoes, a snow suit and snow gloves, new sippy cups, silverware, and socks. Throughout the last year, I was able to buy clothes and necessities for Azrael as they were needed.
4. I got myself new glasses and contacts as my prescriptions were old and I could no longer see as well out of either my glasses or contacts. I hadn’t been to the eye doctor in about three years so it’s definitely nice being able to see completely clear!
5. I bought textbooks for my master’s courses and paid course fees.
6. I put the rest of the money in the bank to use as needed for paying monthly bills and for daycare.
What’s going on now and other updates:
The money you gave lasted just in time for my tax return. I also finally started getting child support this past year since he finally found and kept a decent job (for now). The car I leased with my ex ended up getting repossessed in January and I’ve been working with a lawyer on that. When I got my tax return, I got a new used car with the help of the car lot’s deal to take my old car for $1,000, some money from my mom and a small loan. But that car ended up only lasting me a few months and then blew a head gasket. My ex ended up buying me a car to drive (surprise). But I am afraid to keep it in case he uses it against me for any reason.
I received a promotion at work which came with a small raise and better hours. That allowed me to find a cheaper babysitter and save some money for bills and other things. I was also able to come off of WIC assistance as I no longer needed it. I am still living in my grandma’s house; she passed away this past July and my mom owns the house so needs me to stay here for a little while. I am still renting out my Victorian house. Azrael is 2 years old now and just such a joy and a happy little girl. I should be finishing my Master’s degree this coming May.
Your charity helped get me on track and keep my head above water when I needed it most. If it wasn’t for your help, I might not have been able to get to the secure place I am now. Things are going well for me now and there are positive things in our future. Again, thank you SOO much and one of these days, I plan to help support your charity when I have more financial stability.
(I also just received your Christmas card after I tried sending this the first time. Thank you!)
Melissa and Azrael
MEDIA RELEASE For Further Information:
Single Mom Denied Assistance Because She Works - Gets Help From Extended Family